Monday, January 24, 2011

Delay

Joey hasn't been feeling very well - he's dealing with a cold.  He also has really low white counts right now.  I keep expecting them to go back up since it's been 3 weeks since his last treatment, but they keep going down.  He was supposed to get a spinal today, hydration, and start on his 48-hr chemo, but his counts are too low.  Dr. Rosen also wanted to have his cold checked out just to be sure it wasn't something worse.  They did a flu test and a chest x-ray but everything was clear.  They gave him an antibiotic just to be sure he doesn't end up with a sinus infection or something similar.

He'll go back to Dr. Rosen tomorrow for labs.  If his counts are better, he'll get his spinal on Wed and carry his chemo bag until Friday. If they are still too low, we'll just have to wait until next week and check them again.  It's not too unusual for a leukemia patient to have their treatments delayed from low counts, but it's the first time we've had to deal with it.  With his counts this low and all of the illnesses going around town, it makes me nervous.  We've been keeping him home from several things (like church and parties, etc) but he has still gone to preschool about half the time.  I don't want to completely lock him up at home.

Other stuff going on:
Katherine started selling Girl Scout cookies this weekend.  She set her goal at 200 cookies.  She's a little further than half-way there already, but she'll soon run out of people to ask.  It's fun watching her get into it, but I also know it's going to be a lot of work on my part once the cookies come in.

We found out one of my cats has diabetes.  I decided to try to treat him and see how it goes.  It's not as much work as I thought it would be but I need to find cheaper insulin than buying it from the vet.

Jon starts his new job next Tuesday (Feb 2).  We're excited for him to be working (he's going crazy at home and we need it financially), but it will also be another adjustment. He's been doing a really good job of taking care of Joey when needed during the week, so it will be more work for me to take the lead with him again and balancing that with my job.  I think the job is going to be a really good thing for him.

Thank you to everyone who has helped us out with meals and such.  It's such a big help!

No comments: