Friday, December 31, 2010
Posted by The Bacon Family at 8:11 PM
Posted by The Bacon Family at 7:30 PM
Friday, December 24, 2010
- It's Christmas Eve and we're not in the hospital
- His counts came up some this week from last week - his immune system is stronger
- The rash is still there but going away
- The lips sores are almost gone
- No vomiting since Wednesday
- He went to a movie yesterday for the first time since diagnosis (I've been too scared to take him into a theater)
- He gets to "meet" his Uncle Dave (Jon's only brother) today - he lives in Japan and Joey was 18 months old last time he was here.
- I'm done going to work until Jan 3
- My company made a deal with the state this week to keep them in Wichita for the next 10 years, rather than moving to a Louisiana, which as been an option for the last several months
- Really BIG news: Jon got a job and starts Feb 1! He'll be designing and selling for Superior Landscape Management. It seems like it's going to be a much better place to work than where he was before and it's the exact type of job he wanted.
Posted by The Bacon Family at 8:46 AM
Monday, December 20, 2010
Here are some articles about Joey's Pilot for a Day:
Posted by The Bacon Family at 10:07 PM
After the awesome Air Force experience last Friday, we went to Table Rock for the weekend with the family. My parents recently bought a house right on the lake and this was our first chance to go with Joey. It was good to get away.
Last Tuesday, he got 2 hours of fluids and then a spinal tap. He was a very big boy and didn't fight them (because he "finger promised" me that he would be a big boy), but the doctor had a difficult time getting the fluid to come out and had to dig a bit, so it was painful for him. He carried around his bag of chemo for 48 hours from Tuesday to Thursday afternoon. He spent Wednesday morning at Tree House - the first time he has taken his bag there. I thought he might be embarrassed but he was fine.
Posted by The Bacon Family at 9:14 PM
Saturday, December 11, 2010
Posted by The Bacon Family at 2:05 AM
Sunday, December 5, 2010
There's not too much to report from the last week or so. He's been getting chemo each week now and has been on the steroids this week. I can't wait for him to go off the steroids - they mess with his stomach. He has been slowing down some this week, but not too bad. He's willing to walk most of the time but asks to be carried more than normal and doesn't like going up and down the stairs. He'll go in tomorrow afternoon more treatments.
We did some fun things this weekend. His grandma took him to the zoo Friday afternoon, we all went to lunch and a Christmas play on Saturday, and we had a family Christmas dinner Saturday night with my Dad's side of the family. Tree House had their Christmas program Saturday afternoon and I was hoping he would participate, but didn't expect him to. They tried, but he refused, so he sat on my lap and watched his class. A year ago, he had a lot of fun singing in his program. We see a pretty big difference in his personality since he's been sick and spent so much time in the hospital.
I'm really praying that he stays well this week. This Friday, he gets to be the Pilot for a Day at the Air Force base. The have 4 hours of stuff planned and every morning he asks "do I get to be pilot today". After that, we're going to my parents lake house for the weekend. They bought it right around the time that he was diagnosed and we haven't been able to leave town until now, so he's really excited to go. His grandpa has already checked out the directions to the nearest hospital to the house. It's risky for us to plan too many things, but it's hard not to. We just have to know that we could end up in the hospital and have to cancel.
Posted by The Bacon Family at 10:37 PM